The NEW Hoobler Family Home Page
Up ]


   Adam Hoobler  In 1755, two brothers, Adam and John Hubler, landed in Pennsylvania from the good ship Virtuous Grace of Rotterdam, John Bull Master. The past they played in the early history of our country is largely a matter of conjecture. Their German name seemed to be "Hubler", but in the next generation we find the spelling changed to "Hoobler". James E. Hoobler of Clarkston, Washington says that as he remembers it, the name was spelled "Hoobler" by mistake on the brotherís naturalization papers, and this spelling was then adapted. (It should be remembered that in these early pioneer days in America, very few people were literate. Many public officials spelled largely by sound. This accounts for the various spelling of names of many early families.) Accounts of John, the second Son of Adam have not been found. We assume that John was born around the same timeframe of Adam, sometime between 1732 and 1738. 

    Adam and his brother John were probably born in Germany. In the United States, Adam was a buyer and shipper of horses. He shipped these horses from Pennsylvania to the Atlantic Coast. On one of these trips he was robbed and killed. In Pennsylvania, they were known as "Pennsylvania Dutch". Adam had three Sons, William, Jacob, and Samuel. The family of William Hoobler is continued but we do not have information about Jacob and Samuel, Adam's other two sons. 

    William, Son of Adam Hoobler, was born probably in Washington County, Pennsylvania. He married Mary Spears who was Pennsylvania Dutch. They moved from Washington County, Pennsylvania to a farm 3 miles south of Wattsville, Ohio, but across county line in Jefferson County, Ohio about 1820. (Wattsville is a small town 5 miles north of Bergholtz, Ohio.) His family probably was born here, in the early fifties they moved to Steubenville, Ohio. William was a cobbler here for some time. In this old age they moved to Nebo, now Bergholtz, Ohio and lived with their daughter, Sarah (Hoobler) Alien. Mary died of internal injuries received when she was thrown from a runaway horse, at age 71. William died of pneumonia at the age of 84. They were buried in the United Presbyterian cemetery at Scrogifield, Carroll County, Ohio. William and Mary had ten children. 

Alexander Hoobler, born 1828 (Son of Alexander, William Alexander Hoobler b. 1865 continued on our website)

David Hoobler, born in 1834
        Addison Hoobler, Son of David Hoobler

Sarah Hoobler, married David Allen, died in 1910
        Scott Allen, Son of Sarah and David

Rebecca Hoobler, married William Hauser
        Frank Hauser, Son of Rebecca and William

Mary Hoobler, married John Saunders

Margaret Hoobler, married James Roudybush

Susan Hoobler, married John Roudybush

Nancy Hoobler, married Frank Kean
        John Kean, Son of Nancy and Frank
        Margaret Kean, Daughter of Nancy and Frank
        Isaac Kean, Son of Nancy and Frank
        Rose Ann Kean, Daughter of Nancy and Frank

Alice Hoobler, Her husband's last name was Stewart
        Hannah Stewart, Daughter of Alice
        Alice Stewart, Daughter of Alice
        Leonider Stewart, Son of Alice

William K. Hoobler, born and died in March of 1916, married Nancy Pinnock
        John Howard Hoobler, Son of William and Nancy, married Laura Blazer
        David Frances Hoobler, Son of William and Nancy, married Martha Elliott
        Nina Marry Howard Hoobler, Daughter of William and Nancy, m. George Yoder
        Mark Emmet Howard Hoobler, Son of William and Nancy
        Sarah Gertude Howard Hoobler, Daughter of William and Nancy
        Bertha Howard Hoobler, Daughter of William and Nancy
        D. Frank Howard Hoobler, Son of William and Nancy
        Louis Addison Howard Hoobler, Son of William and Nancy

    Alexander Hoobler son of William and Mary (Spears) Hoobler, was born February 13, 1828 on a farm 3 miles south of Wattsville, Ohio. As a young man, he worked with his father at the cobblerís trade in Steubenville, Ohio. He married Caroline Udora Harlan on January 5, 1851 in Wattsville, Ohio.

    Soon after their marriage they moved to Wheeling, West Virginia, then to Newmartinsville, West Virginia. About 1864 they purchased a small farm adjoining a small town of Pine Grove, West Virginia, up a creek 10 or 12 miles north of Newmartinsville and farmed as well as continued the cobblers trade. In about 1866 they moved back to the old farm one mile east of Wattsville, where they lived for the rest of their lives. This farm was in Fox Township and consisted of 70 acres of land, much of which was untillable timberland. Caroline died March 20, 1901 of influenza at the age of 74. After her death Alexander lived alone and was found dead in bed by a neighbor on November 16, 1907. He presumably died of heart trouble. It was recalled at the time of his death that he had mentioned to this neighbor the night before, of feeling tired but aside from this he had never complained of his health. The children of Alexander and Caroline:

Orrin W. Hoobler, born December 11, 1851

    Orrin W., son of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler, was born December 11, 1851 in Newmartinsville, West Virginia and died June 14, 1852.

Albert F. Hoobler, born March 23, 1854

    Albert F., son of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler, was born March 23, 1854 in Newmartinsville, West Virginia and died February 20, 1920. He married Milinda Burrier on March 28, 1878. They lived for several years in Marion, Indiana. He died of pneumonia at Neosho, Missouri. Names of only two of their children can be recalled by living sibling's of Albert's, although there were apparently five children according to a picture of the family group.

Marion Mayfield Hoobler, born September 2, 1855

    Marion Mayfield, daughter of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler, was born September 2, 1855 in Newmartinsville, West Virginia. Marion married Joseph Henry Close on June 29, 1887 in Kimball, South Dakota. In 1864, when she was nine years old, the family moved to the farm one mile east of Wattsville, Ohio. In 1878, Marion left home and went to an aunt, Sarah Worthington, her mother's sister and then to her mother's cousin, Mrs. Sharnock, to learn dressmaking. She returned home in 1885, and in November came to White Lake, then known as Yorktown, Dakota Territory, South Dakota. She came by invitation to visit relatives; as two brothers, James E. and Eli Harlan, and a sister, Ida Mae had already settled on homesteads around White Lake. She was met at the station by James Henry Dunbar and a neighbor and distant relative of James', Joseph Henry Close, her future husband, whom she had seen only a few times back in Ohio. Ill health may have contributed to her decision to stay in Dakota. It is not remembered whether she brought her sewing machine with her or whether she sent back for it. At any rate, it arrived, and until her marriage, she made her home at the Dunbars and worked at her trade of dressmaking in the various pioneer homes. (This sewing machine, a Domestic, was still in use in 1936 and was owned by her daughter, Emma Ethel.) They lived on the farm Joseph homesteaded 11 miles south and three miles west of White Lake, South Dakota. She died at this home on the morning of August 12, 1917. She is buried in the Dunlap Methodist Episcopal Church cemetery, the church she and Joseph were prime movers in founding.

Eli Harlan Hoobler, born May 21, 1857

   Eli Harlan, son of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler was born May 21, 1857 in Newmartinsville, West Virginia and died January 29, 1920. He married Rachel Alice Close who was born September 6, 1860. In the spring of 1883 they took up a farm near White Lake, South Dakota. Some years later they returned to Wattsville, Ohio where Eli continued to farm. Then to Salem, Ohio where he was employed as a machinist till he died of pneumonia. Alice was still living in 1936. There were several letters from her giving information for this history.

Eva Gray Hoobler, born September 24, 1858

   Eva Gray, daughter of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler was born September 24, 1858 in Newmartinsville, West Virginia and was the twin sister of Ida Mae Hoobler. Eva died December 2, 1858.

Ida Mae Hoobler, born September 24, 1858

   Ida Mae, daughter of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler was born September 24, 1858 in Newmartinsville, West Virginia and was the twin sister of Eva Gray Hoobler. Ida married James Henry Dunbar. They lived one of his father's, George's, farms until the spring of 1883 when they took up a settler's claim for a farm near White Lake, South Dakota. They lived on this farm until March 1, 1915 when they retired from active farming and moved to Mitchell, South Dakota where in 1939 they were both living. About 1910 her son, George, was stricken with spinal meningitis at Lead, South Dakota. She went immediately to care for him. George died of the disease and soon after her return home she was stricken with the disease herself. After a lingering illness she recovered but left her entirely blind.

James E. Hoobler, born December 19, 1860

   James E., son of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler was born December 19, 1860 in Newmartinsville, West Virginia. He left home in 1879 and lived in Illinois till he moved on out to Dakota Territory. He seems to have started the Hoobler influence in this territory. He arrived in White Lake in September, 1882. Eli Harlan Hoobler and wife and two children, Edgar and James; and Ida Mae (Hoobler) Dunbar and husband and two children, Ira Lloyd and Mary Elise, came in the spring of 1883. He married Alicia Jones on November 25, 1886. Under the date of April 9, 1935, he gives the following facts of his life:

    " When a small boy back in Ohio hills, I listened to father and my older brother's talk about the Western Prairies, and I made up my mind then that I was going West just as soon as I could get there. . . . when I moved to South Dakota, I went all alone and did not know anyone in the state, that was when I landed at White Lake, called at that time, Yorktown, that was in September, 1882. I had taught school in Illinois and expected to teach in South Dakota but when I arrived there on the first winter there was but three little one room schools in the county, one at White Lake, one at Plankington and one out north on the Firesteel Creek. But within 2 years, there was something like 100 new schools in the country. I first took a job at Preemption 2 miles west of White Lake, and the later sold that secured the homestead in Troy Lake Top and the first winter there, I taught the school one mile west of Dunbars. And there your Aunt Alicia went to school to me in the winter of 1884-1885. And on Thanksgiving Day 1886 we were married and 3 years later moved to Madison, South Dakota where we lived for most of the time for 14 years and then moved to Clarkston, Washington . . . I had been in different kinds of business during my life, retired from the hardware business three years ago, principally on account of my age. (I am now 74 years old.)"

    While he lived at Madison, South Dakota he followed his early trade of tailor. In Clarkston, Washington after he retired from the hardware business, he opened a real estate, insurance and loan office, as well as being County Agent, Federal Land Bank representative, Notary Public and Policy Judge. His son, Lester, took over his hardware business. They also raised an orphan girl and gave her a college education.

Julia Ann Hoobler, born May 8, 1862

    Julia Ann, daughter of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler was born May 8, 1862 in Newmartinsville, West Virginia and died August 31, 1862.

Sarah Elizabeth Hoobler, born September 18, 1863

    Sarah Elizabeth, daughter of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler was born September 18, 1863 in Newmartinsville, West Virginia and died September 14, 1935. She married Charles E. Moore on April 6, 1887 and he died April 6, 1894 of acute nephritis. They farmed in Carrollton, Ohio. Elizabeth died of an apoplectic stroke. Both are buried at Carrollton, Ohio.

William Alexander Hoobler, born August 26, 1865

   William Alexander, son of Alexander and Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler, was born in Wattsville, Ohio on August 26, 1865. William married Leona Alsadie (Sadie) Barrington on October 3, 1888 at Kimball, South Dakota. Sadie, daughter of James and Rachel (Bennett) Barrington, was born at Shullsburg in Lafayette County, Wisconsin on February 28, 1871. (See BARRINGTON and BENNETT History for further information on families.)

Carrie B. Hoobler, born November 16, 1869

(The following paragraph provide additional information about Alexander Hoobler)

Recollections of My Grandfather, Alexander Hoobler by Dr. William Alexander Moore, Sterling Colorado

    I first saw the light of day on his 60th birthday, so his early life was unknown to me save through the stories he told me when I was a small boy and while he was a master storyteller, the years have dimmed my memory until I can recall these tales he told me only in the most sketchy manner. I will not try to tell any of these tales, for I am nor sure that I could do so with any degress of accuracy, but will rather endeavor to write a short sketch of my recollections of him as I know him.

    Grandpa was fond of all children, but especially boys and while he had many grandsons, I happened to be the only one available to him. The others were widely scattered; some in South Dakota, some in Idaho, and one, Lester Hoobler, in Washington State. I alone live in Ohio and only a few miles from Grandpa's farm, and there I spent my early summers and what happy summers they were. Most vividly of all do I recall the evening I spent with him fishing in the little creek or roaming the timber that at that time covered the ridges. He taught me to shoot with a rifle and to know every medicinal plant and it's properties as well as to identify every bird or animal in the woods by its call. He also tried, but in vain, to teach me how to imitate those calls. He was a master of this art and I have seen him coax many a squirrel to come around the hole of a tree to its disaster, for when he leveled down on a squirrel with his long shiny muzzle loading rifle there could be but one result, and it was always shoot in the head - a body shot he considered a disgrace. "If a squirrel is in a hold in a tree barking at you," he explained, "always make sure both front feet are outside the hole before you shoot, for if either front foot is inside, it will always fall back in and you will lose it, but if both are outside it will struggle out and fall to the ground." I have often proved the truth of his statement to my own satisfaction. He knew the woods and the entire outdoors and he was never too tired that he could not take an hour of a summer evening to make one of these jaunts with me. I knew they meant as much to him as they did to me. He was all at once teacher, hero, friend and counselor, the man who knew everything; such a man should be a part of the life of every small boy.

    Grandpa had enjoyed only slight education of the formal kind, however, he possessed a trait that more than compensated for that lack, a trait all too seldom found even among persons of good education; the ability to deduce unknown facts from a knowledge of a few fundamental principles. He was resourceful and even ingenious. When he wanted something that did not exist or that he could not afford to buy, he made it with the aid of a few carpenter tools and a small wood burning forge. For example, he made a frame for a woodsaw that enable one man to do almost the work of two. It worked with a lever and a metal belt. He broke his wire fence stretcher and Robinson's General Store at Wattsville did not have any in stock and he had no time to go to Carrolton for one so her invented and made a better one than the type then in use, and was using it two hours after he conceived the idea.

    His general knowledge was extensive and I know that he loved to grapple with knotty problems that arose and quite often he found the solution. When his neighbors had trouble they brought them to him and he usually found a way to surmount them. While he had never had any medical or surgical training, he was the man the community looked to when their domestic animals were sick or injured, and to my personal knowledge, he accomplished many things that they teach you in medical school cannot be done.

    Tom Lee's cow was unable to give birth to her calf in the natural way, though Grandpa tried for two hours to turn it. Most men would have given up, but she was a good cow. Tom was a poor man and Grandpa was resourceful and energetic, so, to the amazement of the neighbors who had as usual gathered to offer suggestions, he did a Cesarean operation, taking the calf through her flank and saved both cow and calf.

    Neal Ligget's family mare stepped into a woodchuck hole and broke her leg. Neal said it would be better to shoot her but Grandpa declined to do that. "Let's save her," he said, "even if she is lame for life, at least she can raise you a good colt each year and it would be a pity to kill such a faithful animal." Neal agreed, though I know he was skeptical, but Grandpa called for ropes, pulleys and grain sacks, using the latter to put under the mare's body, since ropes would cut into her flesh. Soon she was swung clear, suspended from two heavy logs in the barn. Then he brought the broken ends of the bone together and enclosed the member in a cast made from the staves of a sugar barrel, strips torn from a bed sheet and the stiff blue clay found in the beds of many streams in Eastern Ohio. The mare stayed thus for a number of weeks and when at last they let her down and took the cast off, she was so weak she could hardly stand up, but she lived for many years and was not even lame, though she always had a lump at the site of the fracture.

    An old friend of Grandpa's once told me an anecdote of him that I consider worthy of recording here. There was a turkey shoot held at Wattsville on the day before Thanksgiving and Grandpa had been given no notice of it, since skill with a rifle made him the terror of all contestants. The match was about to begin when Grandpa drove up in his buckboard, "Well gentlemen," said he, "I see you are about to have a match, through somebody's oversight, I had no word of the shoot and just happened to be driving by. I don't have my rifle with me, but I can soon go home and get it, if necessary, however, I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll pay my entrance fee, take my pick of the turkeys and go home. If that is agreeable, as I said, I can go home and get my gun." For a few minutes there was a whispered conversation among the men directing the match, then the one in charge nodded his head and Grandpa paid his quarter, took his turkey and went home, much to the relief of everybody.

    For many years he served as justice of the peace besides acting as administrator of estate, executor of wills and guardian of minors, all of which trusts he faithfully and honestly discharged and I believe the greatest tribute I can pay him would be to state that while he had every opportunity to enrich himself out of those trusts, and that without fear of detection, he died a poor man.

    Considering my grandfather in retrospect, I do not believe I was far wrong when as a small boy I rated him as a super-man. True he had his faults but the simple homely virtues, so rare in these days, were his and his long life was one devoted largely to good deeds, to his fellows. He never affiliated with any church and seldom attended any religious service, aside from funerals of his friends and neighbors, however, while he never directly mentioned this matter in my presence, I am convinced that deep in his heart he was a deeply religious man, a man who had discovered God for himself out of a wealth of experience and who believed the best and most practical way of serving Him lay in service to his fellow men. He loved little children and I know that his freedom from the ultra austere religious attitude, so common among his contemporaries was an important factor in so greatly endearing him to me. He was a philosopher who knew how to get much out of life and most important of all, he understood the true values of life.

    He never accumulated any great amount of property, the kind of farm he had was not the sort that makes it's owner wealthy, but his acres were clear and he had enough and he raised his numerous sons and daughters to make them a credit to himself and useful members of society.

    During his last years he had plenty of trouble: Grandma had been a hopeless invalid for many years, a victim of inflammatory rheumatism, and required constant care, much of which devolved upon him. At times she was very trying, as persons so afflicted are likely to be. His youngest child, Aunty Carrie, was considerable of charge and a trial to him, yet he never complained or showed his sorrows to others by word or manner.

    But his last years were not entirely unhappy; his horses, his dog, his pipe and fiddle and the joys that attend an ability to commune with nature in all here visible forms, largely compensate for these other troubles and the last time I saw him, a year before his death, he was the same hale and hearty old man he had always been so far as I could see and with all his wanted cheerfulness.

    Alexander Hoobler, friend and companion of my childhood days, I salute you. There are all too few men of your stamp that walk the earth today.

In the following pages are some personal glimpses of the personality of Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler , written by the authors as indicated.

Recollections of My Mother, Caroline Udora (Harlan) Hoobler

by William Alexander Hoobler, Boise, Idaho

    Complying with your request of recent date, I will say that I was next to the youngest of eight and left home at 18 years old for South Dakota and was never home again but will tell you what I can and let you reconstruct the same to suit yourself. I do not remember a time when mother was not a sufferer from rheumatism and later became bed fast and during all of her suffering she was the most patient person I ever saw, never complained nor found fault with the attention she received from the family. Her whole life was dedicated to the welfare of her family and she spent many happy hours reading her Bible and fully believed that there was a future happiness beyond the grave.

    I remember that she once wrote me that all of her children had passed maturity and not one of them had to her knowledge caused her any unnecessary worry, a fact which she had prayed for nightly all of those years. Before her affliction prevented, she very frequently attended the sick people of our acquaintance without charge, and acted as nurse or midwife as the occasion demanded. In those days there were no hospital or nurses and doctors were very scarce.

This letter was in the possession of Ida Mae (Hoobler) Dunbar and sent by her husband, James Henry Dunbar.

August 8, 1863

Dear Daughter:

    I take my pen in hand to write you a few lines to let you know that we are well at present and I hope you are the same. I am sorry to hear you are so discontented. I wish you lived nearer so we could get to see you. The river is so low that no boats can run and times is so hard. We can't get the money to come and Sarah is not been very well this summer and she has great deal of work to do. You must not think of her if you lived near. We would try and see you but we can't come when we have no money to come.

    I must inform you that Jimmy never sent me no money. I expect he has forgotten his mother. Poor boy, God help him to remember me. I don't no where he is or where he is in the land of the living. The last I heard of him, he had got his discharge from the Army.

    Cal [Caroline], I want you to put your trust in the Lord and he will take care of you in your sickness. Pray to him to give grace and spare your life to raise your children and he will never forsake you. I am truly sorry you did not come to Ohio. I hope you will see better days. I expect to go to Pittsburg and live with Rocky [Roxanna} when she gets to housekeeping. Everything is so high and it takes so much to pay board. Rocky is poor chance to get along. Times is so hard and everything is so high. O that I could hear from my boy. I feel very lonely at times with my boy exposed to danger on the soil so far away but my spirit shall not mummer though a tear bedden my view. Excuse my short letter Cal.

(Signed) Julian Harlan